Thursday, September 15, 2011

Welcome to my new pottery blog.

Hello all.  I finally decided it was time for me to try my hand at the social networking thing.  I have to admit I really don't like being on the computer for long periods of time.  I fought this for a long time. Well, I guess sometimes we have to do things we find uncomfortable and/or unfamiliar. 

I began taking pottery in 1996.  I took a wheel throwing class at the University of Maryland.  I was immediately hooked.  I loved throwing but I think even then I gravitated more towards the hand building.  I took another pottery class at a local community center, still focusing mainly on my throwing techniques.  At times combining the throwing and hand building together to create my pieces. 

Around 2002-2003 I took a tile making class at the Corcoran College of Art.  The focus of the class was creating relief tiles.  This type of art is a perfect fit for my obsession with fine details and the need for perfection.  I took the class multiple times and absolutely loved it.  I would still be taking the class if I had the extra money:)
Last Summer I took a week long Hand building workshop with Artist Margaret Bohls.  This was an amazing experience and I learned so much.  It really opened up a whole new world.  I came home full of ideas and eager to try out all the new techniques I just learned.

My new functional pottery designs were all created after this experience.
here are a couple samples.

three footed mug
Tulip bowls
sugar bowl and creamer


These are just a few sample pieces of my current work.
 Well, I got to go down to the studio for a little before the kids come home from school.  Have to start working on that wholesale order.

No comments:

Post a Comment